Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It Is In This" Uniqueness" That We Are All The Same

Business, Communication.

Four simple questions that will make or break your business - here are four questions for you: do you find it challenging to answer the question, "what' s your unique selling position( usp) ?" do you talk about the features of your product or service verses addressing the benefits by answering( before they ask) "so what' s so good about that? " do you discount your actions or accomplishments with statements like, "oh that, it was nothing" ? If you answered yes to any one of those questions - keep reading. Do you believe it is vanity to think you are something special - that you have a talent or gift unique to you and no one else can do exactly what you do?


In business it' s important to highlight those things that set you apart from others in your industry. - i had a revealing dream wherein i was hanging out in an old shanty looking at photos of several of our female relatives and they were in full dress green marine corps uniforms. In the past 30+ years I' ve worked with hundreds of individuals, in many different arenas, getting them to see how they are" unique" . I remember thinking, I know this person and she hadn' t been in the Marines, so I asked when she had enlisted. Hmmm. The person I was talking with answered me" she went in just a few years ago" . The problem was she was a grandmother.


In reality, none of my female relatives served in the military. - i woke up reviewing. Yet, going through these, there I was dream pictures looking at them as Corporals' and Sergeants' doing things that I, a Former Marine had done myself. The" oh that was nothing" statement when someone delivers a compliment. The dream was about the desire to discount what I do. There have been times that I was extremely uncomfortable with the question" what makes you unique" . Often times in the discomfor of expressing our uniqueness we fall back to these template driven statements - the elevator speech, or Audio Business Card, that sounds like one of these: "Hi I' m Jane/ John Doe and I am a therapist/ coach/ chiropractor. " OR. " Hi I' m Jane/ John Doe and I paint houses/ design websites/ teach computer skills. " OR. " Hi I' m Jane/ John Doe and I sell health/ skin care/ home care products( by brand name if they feel the brand is a strong hook) ." We then proceed to tell every feature our product provides.


Over the years I have realized that I was NOT unique in that" discomfort" . - and even the slowest elevator isn' t enough time to get. e v e r y t h i n g. in. I' ve done this too. I know. In truth, our reaction is, "So what? " You provide" quality service" , "excellent products" . . . and so do a thousand other people. In Deepak Chopra' s book, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, he writes that the 7th Spiritual Law is the" Law of Dharma" . We still have avoided the key element - what makes YOU unique for promoting that product.


In short, that law says when you combine your unique talent with service to humanity you make full use of the Law of Dharma. - this wealth is manifest in various ways including health, relationship, spirit, and financial. Your actions, coming from a place of your unique talent( s) bring about wealth. My friend, a well, Chellie Campbell - known author on creating weath, could be classified as a Financial Coach. Looking deeper into her USP, Chellie helps thousands with her unique, insightful and heartwarming approach to money, different than any other financial coach. If you saw her as just that you' d miss the mark.


She is abundantly successful today by being honest and totally" Chellie" down to her gold and jeweled tennis shoes, in addition to serving others with her" USP" . - it is not ego( edging god out) to move through life as if you are unique. It is not vanity to know that you are special. Even Christ said" Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven. " Somehow, I like many, along the way others, massaged that statement into the idea that I am to abase myself. I am not advocating the" glorification of man" just that we were told to let OUR light/ work shine. I must be sure that others see every good thing I do as a" work of God" and every bad thing I do as a result of my humanity or" humanness" .


In that simple act - God is glorified. - spend some time today, tomorrow or as long as it takes, getting to know what makes you unique. It is in this" uniqueness" that we are all the same. What is it that you have to offer, from the inside out, that makes you different from everyone else? When you do that first - all of the beauty and success you desire will be yours.


No comments: